Bettor In Green Forums

Offseason Firings, Trades and FA Signings Etc

Big Bat Theory

Mods can you  pin this one for the long term?

With the regular season ending in days and teams out of the playoffs already making news thought this might be a good overall thread to use until spring training time again to keep up with changes.

Though not officially off season but close enough we already has 2 major firings.  First was Chaim Bloom of course a week or so ago. 

And Friday Gabe Kapler got fired as the Giants skipper with the organization saying they needed a whole different approach.  (Probably less analytical extremist with constant platoons and early pinch hitting and more with some human common sense involved maybe).

Maybe use this thread for both changes and lists of free agents available as well?

Edited by Big Bat Theory

• Big Bat Theory changed the title to Offseason Firings, Trades and FA Signings Etc
12 hours ago, DarinB300 said:

It's pinned now. Going forward, can always send a mod a pm & the group will be glad to help. This way in case we don't see all the posts/topics.

Thanks very much! 

But a question.  Where do I go to find a mod here?  Is there a list of them somewhere?  (At least I know you are a mod now though).

3 hours ago, Big Bat Theory said:

But a question.  Where do I go to find a mod here? 

16 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

@Fuzzy_Slippers @BaoBou is there a list of mods or just send a PM to 1 of us?

What you did was great, you filed a report and the there's always a mod to react to it. I saw it but as I'm not involved in the baseball community I didn't take action and thought it better to leave it to fuzzy slippers or Derrick Henry's Cleats who I know frequent this forum much more often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Giants to announce their new manager:

Giants To Hire Bob Melvin As Manager

By Mark Polishuk | October 24, 2023 at 12:34pm CDT

The Giants “are poised to announce” that Bob Melvin has been hired as the team’s new manager, The Athletic’s Andrew Baggarly reports.  It isn’t known when the official announcement could be made, though the league prefers that teams save major news for between postseason rounds, so the Giants may wait until for the two days between the end of the NLCS and the start of the World Series on Friday.

Between the late-season firing of Gabe Kapler as manager and the reports of discord between Melvin and Padres president of baseball operations A.J. Preller, there has been plenty of speculation over the last month that Melvin might find himself on the move from San Diego to San Francisco.  Padres chairman Peter Seidler’s stated preference was that both Melvin and Preller remain with the organization in 2024, and Preller even said in a post-season wrapup press conference that “Bob is our manager, and he’s going to be our manager going forward.”

However, Melvin remained on the Giants’ radar, and a parting between Melvin and the Padres seemed inevitable once San Diego granted Melvin permission to interview with the Giants this past weekend.  As Baggarly reports, that interview took place on Monday, and involved several members of San Francisco’s ownership group and baseball operations staff, not to mention franchise icon Buster Posey.  It seems as though the interview was enough to confirm Melvin’s status as the favorite for the job, and the veteran skipper will now get a new job as an early birthday present, as he turns 62 on Saturday.

Red Sox to announce Chaim Bloom' replacement today:

Red Sox To Hire Craig Breslow As Chief Baseball Officer

By Anthony Franco | October 24, 2023 at 10:59pm CDT

Craig Breslow has accepted the Red Sox’s offer to take over as head of baseball operations, report Alex Speier and Michael Silverman of the Boston Globe. He is expected to be named chief baseball officer, reports Chris Cotillo of MassLive. The team will presumably wait until Wednesday before announcing the hire.

Breslow, 43, is a Yale graduate who spent 12 seasons in the majors as a reliever. While he spread that across seven organizations, he’s best known for his time with the Sox. The New Haven native pitched 211 innings across five campaigns with Boston, turning in a 1.81 ERA for the 2013 World Series club.

After concluding his playing career in 2018, Breslow signed on with the Cubs as their director of strategic initiatives for baseball operations. He shed that wordy title when he was named director of pitching one season later. The following year, the Cubs bumped him to AGM in Jed Hoyer’s front office, a title he has held for the last three years.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange there hasn't been ANY free agent movement.  I wonder if MLB's financials aren't looking all that great.  The offers players are seeing so far are well below to far below historic values?

The World Series was one of the lowest rated in decades.  Some teams and their contracts with Bally Sports are up in the air.  The Twins plan to cut payroll from last year. I think I heard the White Sox do as well.  This could be common throughout the league.  The Padres plan to slash some payroll.  There aren't many good FA behind Ohtani this year, think it could be  rough year for FA contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, murraygd13 said:

Strange there hasn't been ANY free agent movement.  I wonder if MLB's financials aren't looking all that great.  The offers players are seeing so far are well below to far below historic values?

The World Series was one of the lowest rated in decades.  Some teams and their contracts with Bally Sports are up in the air.  The Twins plan to cut payroll from last year. I think I heard the White Sox do as well.  This could be common throughout the league.  The Padres plan to slash some payroll.  There aren't many good FA behind Ohtani this year, think it could be  rough year for FA contracts.

Disappointing Padres expected to cut payroll by about 20% to around $200 million for 2024, per report - CBSSports.com.Sep 26, 2023

MLB Trade Rumors put out an article that stated that the Twins are looking to reduce payroll. They opened 2023 with an estimated $153 million dollar payroll, whereas the estimates are that they could look to be in the $125-$140-million-dollar range to begin 2024.2 days ago

The impression from the General Manager’s meetings this past week is that the Chicago White Sox will indeed be rebuilding.

How the Braves intend to make up for one-tenth of a billion dollars in lost revenue is anyone’s guess, although the first stab at a post-RSN universe is expected to include a robust TV component, as well as a subscription streaming platform. However things shake out, making the math work on local media rights is going to be one of the greatest challenges for MLB going forward.

Very quiet so far, not much in the way of rumors outside of cost cutting for a lot of teams as @murraygd13 mentioned.  If Padres and Sox sell some pieces, that might be more interesting than FA signings.  Reds will most likely move an IF piece for pitching.  Cards will be looking to move OF for pitching.  Brewers will also be in a rebuild mode and could see them moving some interesting players.  I think the trade market this year might be robust and that might need to shake out before the less interesting FA signings.

I wonder if everyone is waiting for Ohtani to decide where he's going and then the rest of the market will shake out?

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

No.  It is the same as any other year.  The big names have to be signed first then the dominoes of remaining players start to fall quickly into place. 

Dude is right.  The biggest name this year is Ohtani.  Until he signs things will tend to remain somewhat stagnant.  And he is in no real rush since the longer it takes the higher the bidding goes.

Example how in effects things:  Dodgers have expressed interest in re-signing J.D. Martinez but they won't even get into discussions with him until Ohtani gets signed because if LA, probably the leading contender, signs Ohtani no way would they go after J.D. since both men play DH only.  And because Ohtani is a two-way player (though not next year) this effects the long term signing of the better pitcher free agents out there as well.

And signing Ohtani will mean the money needed to sign some other bigger name players won't be there for any team signing him.

This doesn't mean some free agents that are bigger names won't be signed before Ohtani.  But the majority won't.  And many of these players are waiting too for Ohtani's contract since super big contracts tend to lift all boats (contracts) of other players some setting new standards etc.

This isn't something new. This happens every off season.  You could read the same type of posts a year ago.  This year is a bit more interesting with The Unicorn involved is all.

And MLB financials are just fine and dandy.  Owners haven't been richer and are rolling in the loot.  Don't know where you got the idea they weren't.

Aaron Bummer traded to Atlanta for Soroka, Nicky Lopez, Shemake, Shuster and Gowens. Braves needed some 40 man roster spots and the White Sox horrific farm system provided a good number of available spots.  Fantasy wise.  Maybe some of these guys prove to be semi interesting in deep leagues this year. The White Sox could in theory carry the 1st 4 on the major league roster this year, Sox are going to be terrible this year.

• Like 2

Got some more moves!  The Royals pick up Kyle Wright knowing he will miss all of next season. I decent gamble for them at the cost of Jackson Kowar.  Not sure what the Braves want with Kowar.

Brandon Woodruff non-tendered..also out all of next year.  Will be interesting to see what kind of deal he ends up with.

Isiah Campbell to the Bo Sox for Luis Urias. There goes my sleeper pick of Campbell as a saves guy for Seattle. Urias is somehow still only 26.

• Haha 1