Trevor Bauer 2024 Outlook

7 hours ago, Big Bat Theory said:

I didn't hear anything to change my mind about him.  It is simply his side of the story slanted the way he wants to slant it and he admits he left a lot of the details out. So she is a messed up person.  So was he for taking advantage of it.  You believe him if you want.  I don't.

This is a weird thing to admit out loud. There's literal, court documented proof that she planned to extort money from him before it happened. So you don’t believe facts and instead want to hold onto those feelings you had? That’s not how facts work.

Is he a slimy dirtbag? Maybe. But clearly in this case did nothing illegal. And players aren’t suspended for being dirtbags or being into weird kinks. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

MLB interviewed 3 accusers before suspending Bauer. He then had a grievance hearing before an independent arbitrator and still ended up with a 194-game suspension.

Obviously the initial accuser was trying to extort him. It's weird to not believe that at this point. But there's more to the case against him than that, and he doesn't necessarily have to be guilty of a crime to be in violation of MLB's player conduct policy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

MLB interviewed 3 accusers before suspending Bauer. He then had a grievance hearing before an independent arbitrator and still ended up with a 194-game suspension.

Obviously the initial accuser was trying to extort him. It's weird to not believe that at this point. But there's more to the case against him than that, and he doesn't necessarily have to be guilty of a crime to be in violation of MLB's player conduct policy.

I read one of the allegations.  Essentially, the accusation was that, in a LTR, they were doing this choking stuff.  She agreed to it. But then they agreed he'd stop at a certain point during the act. He then violated that agreement several times.

If true, messed up. Understandable if nobody wants him.

Otoh... it's strange that someone would be accused of x, then other people accuse him of x.  The first accusation is total BS.  But, by coincidence the others are true.

Perhaps the gold digger heard of Bauers kinks and thought it would make him a good mark. Then others came forward, either cuz they really felt abused or they wanted $ or a mix.

Anyway, it's a case where there is ambiguity.  It's also political.  If he'd merely killed 3 people in an apolitical fashion like ONeal Cruz, nobody would care. 

When the case strikes a political nerve (in any camp), the nerve struck people and their corresponding media figures will never back down.  He also actively seeks out controversy and debate in other areas.

Hard to say, but I'm certain many teams will rule him out right away. Just not worth the drama. 

If you sign him and he really does harm a woman, even accidentally, it's a mega disaster.

If it is true that he enjoys choking partners to unconsciousness, even if it's always been consensual, I think he's done in mlb.  If he doesn't and it's all BS, 50/50.

• Like 3

She responds here.

The host is very glib, which I think is a way of disarming her and I think it works well, though it makes him seem... well, glib, to be nice. One more person in this case I wouldn't want anything to do with.

The woman interviewer lays it down much harder.   

I think she makes some viable points though. I have a really dark sense of humor, will joke about serious things and if some of my group chats were made public, everyone would have to move to another country. I actually think her account of the "next victim" remark is plausible, as she has slept with many baseball players and never extorted one before.  Why would Bauer be the "next" victim? I think she could def. have meant, next dude she hooks up with and then moves on from. 

The other texts are harder to explain and she doesn't. 

She seems confident.

13:00 is total BS.  She was totally willing to go to trial. Eager to, in fact.  But she also wasn't willing as no amount of money was worth the stress.  After 2 years, you get to the finish line with like a $10 million pay day in sight, and the opportunity to BBQ your attacker and silence your critics and you just decide, "nope?"  And then do an interview about it, laughing and joking about what happened?  

The contrast between the two women's faces when they are both on screen is pretty striking. 

australia.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, if you actually believe Lindsey Hill you're just a hater and shouldn't ever be close to serving on a jury. I'll give it to her.....She's got gall for making the rounds in these interviews, but I'm guessing that's because, as she stated, she likes attention. I'm embarrassed for her watching this video. The interviewer absolutely shreds her. 

https://x.com/SaraGonzalesTX/status/1709711367458918657?s=20

• 4 months later...

👀

Trevor Bauer is expected to pitch for a Japanese travel team against Dodgers’ minor-leaguers on Saturday.
The 33-year-old is hoping to get noticed by professional scouts and this is one way of doing it. The team he’s playing for is called Asian Breeze, a traveling club from Japan that plays scrimmages against squads of minor-leaguers from MLB clubs. Ironically, he will be going up players within the Dodgers organization. Los Angeles has distanced itself from Bauer since he was released in January of 2023 after serving the longest suspension (194 games) in the history of MLB and MLBPA’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy. This will be closest Bauer has come to a MLB-affiliated competition since his suspension.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Word on the street is he was touching 99 mph and telling the batters what pitch was coming as he retired most the dodgers minor leaguers relatively easily. 

I can’t believe no team will sign him. 

I wonder if the Yankees might once they hear bad news on Cole and not giving Snell and Boras what they want.

12-team roto 6x6 (AVE, OBP, R, RBI, HR, SB) (ERA, WHIP, K, K/9, QS, S+H) keeper forever (have off-season $26 salary cap for only to meet or be under by spring training).

Prices are not locked in yet, but I'm currently below the cap.

C - O'Hoppe, Hererra

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Altuve

SS - Turner

3B - Devers

MI - J. Smith

CI - Vaughn

OF - Langford, Soto, O'Neill

U - Kelenic, Westburg, Chourio

SP - Gallen, Skubal, Ragans, Sale, Bradley

RP - Gaddis, Harvey, Miller, Duran

BENCH - Carroll, N. Marte, Ober, J.Jones, R. Lewis IL

IL - McClain, Casas, Harris

MINORS - Protected

Shaw, Cameniro

Just now, charger_ss24 said:

I wonder if the Yankees might once they hear bad news on Cole and not giving Snell and Boras what they want.

Bauer and Cole have a STRONG disdain for each other, so that likely ain't happening.

He'll need a smaller market, anyway. It's really dumb that he can't get signed.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Word on the street is he was touching 99 mph and telling the batters what pitch was coming as he retired most the dodgers minor leaguers relatively easily.

I can’t believe no team will sign him. 

And I can't believe any team ever would.  And "word of the street"??

• Confused 1

I don't really know what the Cole/Bauer deal is.  Obviously I've seen the talk that they very much dislike each other, but I've also seen it posted that Cole is cool with him.  Assuming it isn't an issue, the Yankees should kick the tires on Bauer.  They need a starter, and being in the top tax tier, they have to pay a 110% tax for every dollar they dish out above that tier.  Signing Snell or Monty would basically mean their 2024 salary costs double.  Bauer would cost the league minimum, and if he was an issue, or simply stinks, he's a no risk cut.  On top of that, he costs nothing in terms of prospects, which their rumored pursuit of Dylan Cease would.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dicka24 said:

I don't really know what the Cole/Bauer deal is.  Obviously I've seen the talk that they very much dislike each other, but I've also seen it posted that Cole is cool with him.  Assuming it isn't an issue, the Yankees should kick the tires on Bauer.  They need a starter, and being in the top tax tier, they have to pay a 110% tax for every dollar they dish out above that tier.  Signing Snell or Monty would basically mean their 2024 salary costs double.  Bauer would cost the league minimum, and if he was an issue, or simply stinks, he's a no risk cut.  On top of that, he costs nothing in terms of prospects, which their rumored pursuit of Dylan Cease would.

There's absolutely no reason for them not to sign him. He fits the mold perfectly for the current situation. 

On 3/11/2024 at 12:01 PM, St. Steven said:

Bauer and Cole have a STRONG disdain for each other, so that likely ain't happening.

He'll need a smaller market, anyway. It's really dumb that he can't get signed.

While it's an odd pairing, he is a bit like Kaepernick.  Both were very good at their peaks.  Post-peak, they might deserve to be in the league based on ability.  But they probably aren't good enough to make it worth dealing with the controversy, whether it's deserved or not. A decent chunk of the fans absolutely hate the guy and, ultimately, this is an entertainment business.

Michael Vick is another.  Of course, he got signed.  But that was before everyone was online, obsessing over these things 24/7.  Not sure Vick would get another chance today. Even the subject of dogs (especially pit bulls) has become highly politicized. 

All 3 can make a principled argument: Vick served his time, Kaepernick merely expressed himself politically, Bauer's accuser has been discredited. But what ultimately matters is, do people want to watch you play or not?

And to a lesser degree, there is the disruption.  Some players might hate Bauer.  All of them will hate being asked about him a million times in the press, on social media, etc. He doesn't seem like the easiest guy to get along with, either, which would make that even more annoying. On the NYY multiply this by 1,000. I can't imagine they want to deal with it.  Maybe a place like Cleveland could work.

Let's focus on the important thing: those of us who were right about the case all along taking victory laps.

• Like 2