Trevor Bauer 2024 Outlook

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

How did you swing that dream team starting staff? lol Well damnit somebody in your league will scoppp up Trevor very quickly. 

my 12 team redraft starting staff has Keller Rodon Yama Abbott & Blanco 

The key word in those is “keeper” lol. And that’s fine. They can break their faab on him. I honestly don’t mind. 

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Ok - Bauer could be rostered in certain leagues - why don’t we move on rather than providing a case-by-case analysis.

In this kind of instance, I like reading about the different contexts that would make people consider him or not consider him. What else is there to talk about in the Bauer thread? Keep discussing in circles whether or not he should be blackballed? I mean really, what’s the harm? 

On 6/12/2024 at 3:02 PM, AHF said:

It is certainly unfair for several of these women to play along and then try to blackmail him and to ruin his reputation with false allegations and he deserves justice for that.  One way of getting some justice would have been to get a judgment against these women which makes me wonder why he settled the suit he brought on that basis for $0.  The defendant may be poor enough to be judgment proof but it could also be that the facts were messy enough that both sides decided to drop it and move on.

Well, not quite.  Lawyer here.  Settling a suit in that manner was a HUGE win for Bauer.  A woman like that does not have deep pockets... there's virtually no financial incentive for Bauer to pursue litigation through trial (he'd likely lose money on attorney fees vs. a final judgment in his favor). 

Juries are unpredictable.  Even if Bauer's attorneys thought he had a 95% chance of winning, that 95% chance provides, at best, some symbolic victory, whilst that 5% chance of loss is devastating financially and reputationally. 

I don't think any reputable law firm would reject the chance to settle so early in litigation. 

In litigation, Bauer has everything to lose and very little to gain.  Had the accuser's claims had any merit, she surely would have settled for a financial windfall.  Generally, when one party is rich and famous and the other is destitute, the latter side has more leverage because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Typical to just pay them off. 

Bauer did not have to pay her one cent and didn't even have to sign an NDA as a condition of settlement--so he was free to shit  talk her, which he has. 

Moreover, the evidence speaks for itself. 

The others are more of a black box although it is a reasonable assumption some of the details around them were part of the arbitration case which was won by MLB.

I do not believe they were.  IIRC, these "allegations" (really just the public filing of a restraining order many years ago, if memory serves) were brought up by journalists doing some heavy digging once arbitration hearings were already underway. 

It's not like these additional women "came forward" and made some new case. 

Bauer had an ex-girlfriend in Ohio who filed a TRO many years ago.  She retracted it at some point.  That's all we know. 

Do keep in mind the punishment issued by MLB was reversed by an independent arbiter.  This was not a win for the MLB.  The damage was already done to Bauer, but his punishment was commuted. 

The whole thing was a farce, and the only reason people still go after Bauer is because of vague narratives that he is an "asshole," with no real evidence to back it up. Seriously, for how much people regurgitate "well, allegations might be false, but Bauer is a shitty human and deserves unfair treatment" no one seems to be able to substantiate why Bauer is supposedly a shitty human to begin with.  They hate him because they've been told by the media to hate him. 

The issue has been politicized so it's now, idiotically, a Right/Left thing, with this all really coming down to Bauer's support of Donald Trump in tandem with the politics of #MeToo.  We won't get into that, but that's a silly pretext to condone injustice and the abuse of process in MLB's review, as well as the abuse of the legal system by the fraudulent accusers.

The "ends justify the means" has always been among the most morally bankrupt philosophies in human history. 

Anyway, I still believe the guy has the talent to be a Top 50 MLB pitcher (likely not close to elite).  I'd recommend again his Youtube series which has a breakdown of him pitching.  His stuff is still legit because of his deep repertoire (4-seamer, cutter, slider, curve, splitter, changeup) despite some loss of velocity--slider especially has been looking good.  Astros working him out was encouraging, but I'd still wager no team picks him up. 

The public is fickle and most people don't care that he was exonerated, and are too lazy/stubborn/proud to correct their misconceptions.  Add to that the politicization of the issue, and it's likely too much of a headache for any team. 

Not fair to Bauer, of course, but it is what it is. 

Edited by Rainy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Arizona dumped him. Cleveland dumped him. The entire country of Japan dumped him. Ever hear the saying if everyone else is always the problem maybe the problem isn't everyone else? 

We can argue over his potential fantasy value. He won't be the first or last asshole in baseball. But it's breathtakingly ignorant to pretend there's zero evidence of him being an asshole. 

Also, it's incredibly immature to say let's not talk about or get into xyz, but proceed to get into xyz and expect everyone else to ignore you opening the door. Let's pretend we're adults and actually drop those tangents.

• Like 3

I follow baseball as closely as anyone. Many years ago I used to think Bauer was quirky and misunderstood. Over time, I came to my own conclusions that he’s just an asshole. I’m not a political person and I fall somewhere on the middle of the spectrum, so my disgust of Bauer has nothing to do with who he votes for. The definition of an asshole is subjective, but he fit my criteria well before the Lindsey Hill situation. If you say there’s no evidence of it, you haven’t been paying close attention to his career over the last 10 years.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Meh2 said:

I follow baseball as closely as anyone. Many years ago I used to think Bauer was quirky and misunderstood. Over time, I came to my own conclusions that he’s just an asshole. I’m not a political person and I fall somewhere on the middle of the spectrum, so my disgust of Bauer has nothing to do with who he votes for. The definition of an asshole is subjective, but he fit my criteria well before the Lindsey Hill situation. If you say there’s no evidence of it, you haven’t been paying close attention to his career over the last 10 years.

Since when is being an asshole keeping guys off mlb teams? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rainy said:

The whole thing was a farce, and the only reason people still go after Bauer is because of vague narratives that he is an "asshole," with no real evidence to back it up. Seriously, for how much people regurgitate "well, allegations might be false, but Bauer is a shitty human and deserves unfair treatment" no one seems to be able to substantiate why Bauer is supposedly a shitty human to begin with.  They hate him because they've been told by the media to hate him. 

Best post in this entire thread.

Unfortunately, the majority of folks are puppets of the media.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SillyGoose said:

Best post in this entire thread.

Unfortunately, the majority of folks are puppets of the media.

Good posts.  Too bad the people these days are trained what to believe instead of using critical thinking to have respecful discussions and explain their ideas and come to conclusions.  It seems today people are just given their viewpoint by whoever in the media/celebs/blah blah, and told not to engage...or maybe they just can't explain their position because those they listen to can't either.  It's a very sad thing.  

• Like 5

Mookie Betts Offers Ringing Endorsement of Former Dodgers Teammate Trevor Bauer

My experience with Bauer is not anything remotely close to what everyone else’s experience is. I love him. I think he’s an awesome guy. The personal things? I have no control. I have no say. Obviously, nothing ever came from it.

“He’s an awesome pitcher. He’s a great guy, somebody who wants to take the mound every fifth day. But, at the end of the day, I don’t make the decision. That’s a decision that’s not as simple as baseball.”

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

My experience with Bauer is not anything remotely close to what everyone else’s experience is. I love him. I think he’s an awesome guy. The personal things? I have no control. I have no say. Obviously, nothing ever came from it.

“He’s an awesome pitcher. He’s a great guy, somebody who wants to take the mound every fifth day. But, at the end of the day, I don’t make the decision. That’s a decision that’s not as simple as baseball.”

I guess all the haters better drop Mookie now.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Since when is being an asshole keeping guys off mlb teams? 

It’s never been and I’m not advocating that he never pitch again in baseball. I’m not losing any sleep either way with whatever happens to this douchebag. I’ve said it before- if true shitheads like Matt Bush were allowed to keep playing then it’s hypocritical to keep Bauer out. What I’m saying is that there’s plenty of evidence that he’s an asshole. There’s no conspiracy here to keep him out.

Teams have done their due diligence on him and to this point have concluded that he isn’t worth the headache. There’s no major injustice here and the crusaders that are stumping for him to get signed are bizarre to me. Find a better cause to get behind. If anyone thinks I’m just a puppet of the media for hating on Bauer, I’ve followed him every step of his career. This is not a new stance of mine driven by CNN articles. I’ve been posting on him since the RW forum days when he was a minor leaguer. There’s a number of people that seem to be rallying behind him with only knowledge about the Lindsey Hill situation and a couple Google searches. I’ve seen enough about her, by the way, to conclude that she’s an asshole as well. It’s too bad they couldn’t work things out because they’re perfect for each other.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Meh2 said:

It’s never been and I’m not advocating that he never pitch again in baseball. I’m not losing any sleep either way with whatever happens to this douchebag. I’ve said it before- if true shitheads like Matt Bush were allowed to keep playing then it’s hypocritical to keep Bauer out. What I’m saying is that there’s plenty of evidence that he’s an asshole. There’s no conspiracy here to keep him out.

Teams have done their due diligence on him and to this point have concluded that he isn’t worth the headache. There’s no major injustice here and the crusaders that are stumping for him to get signed are bizarre to me. Find a better cause to get behind. If anyone thinks I’m just a puppet of the media for hating on Bauer, I’ve followed him every step of his career. This is not a new stance of mine driven by CNN articles. I’ve been posting on him since the RW forum days when he was a minor leaguer. There’s a number of people that seem to be rallying behind him with only knowledge about the Lindsey Hill situation and a couple Google searches. I’ve seen enough about her, by the way, to conclude that she’s an asshole as well. It’s too bad they couldn’t work things out because they’re perfect for each other.

Assholeness is subjective. You think he is an asshole but Mookie betts thinks he is an awesome guy. 

whose opinion should I give more credence to?

im leaning Mookie.

11 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Assholeness is subjective. You think he is an asshole but Mookie betts thinks he is an awesome guy. 

im leaning Mookie.

You could also factor in Arizona and Cleveland franchises, along with the entire country of Japan. Or keep pretending there's no evidence and he's just continuously being targeted for no reason whatsoever by multiple organizations and there's some massive conspiracy against him because he's a right wing fanboy.  Even though the MLB is full of those guys who haven't been targeted. 

Should name this place boomer boards with the takes I'm seeing in here. 

• Confused 6

33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

im leaning Mookie.

Trust me when I say I feel much better off knowing the guy who’s spent the last decade posting confused faces on other people’s posts to irritate them disagrees with my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Mudders said:

could also factor in Arizona and Cleveland franchises, along with the entire country of Japan

https://dodgersway.com/posts/trevor-bauer-s-japanese-teammate-blasts-him-for-lame-sword-celebration-01gzc5vghfzg

English translation: "My message was received by the media in the US in a way that I did not intend, and it was taken as if I was saying something bad about him. After talking with Bauer, I was able to convey my feelings clearly. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

https://dodgersway.com/posts/trevor-bauer-s-japanese-teammate-blasts-him-for-lame-sword-celebration-01gzc5vghfzg

English translation: "My message was received by the media in the US in a way that I did not intend, and it was taken as if I was saying something bad about him. After talking with Bauer, I was able to convey my feelings clearly. 

It's discussing an entirely different situation and the article that came out an entire year before the actual controversy. Not sure how that's relevant. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/17/trevor-bauer-japan-ridge-alkonis-tweet

58 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Japan loved him so much no team decided to bring him back to pitch this year despite having a great season in 2023? He elected to leave arguably the biggest and best league outside of the MLB itself to pitch in...Mexico? Yeah okay, sure thing. 

26 minutes ago, Mudders said:

Japan loved him so much no team decided to bring him back to pitch this year despite having a great season in 2023? He elected to leave arguably the biggest and best league outside of the MLB itself to pitch in...Mexico? Yeah okay, sure thing. 

Did he say anything more than "Welcome home, Ridge" that caused such hatred toward him? Or was that what set the majority of Japan against him? Tbh, I didn't follow that situation too closely, so Idk anything more than what I read in the article you posted. 

7 minutes ago, Flyman said:

Did he say anything more than "Welcome home, Ridge" that caused such hatred toward him? Or was that what set the majority of Japan against him? Tbh, I didn't follow that situation too closely, so Idk anything more than what I read in the article you posted. 

This article discusses it in slightly more detail. https://unseen-japan.com/ridge-alkonis-release-japan-reacts/

In short, the situation was (is?) a really big hot button and controversial issue for the people of Japan. And Bauer went out of his way to be an edgelord yet again. All he had to do was stfu and not go out of his way to comment on a hugely sensitive issue that he was in no way shape or form connected to. Nobody had asked him about it.

This is a very long standing pattern for Trevor. He's just a twat who can't help but piss people off. In college with his issues with Cole? Not everyone will be buddies and he was a young kid so we can ignore that. His time in Arizona? Again, we can ignore that because he was a young stubborn hothead. Cleveland? Well...he wasn't a kid but maybe he's grown up. Throwing a tantrum over sticky stuff? Dude just wanted everyone playing by the same rules so we can brush that off. Being effectively blackballed by Japan? I mean...you can brush off any one of these issues easily. Even a few of them. But at some point there's a clear pattern here. And we all know that's not the end of his controversies.

And it's sad to hear anyone arguing it has to do with him being a right wing dude playing a role. Dodgers have Blake Treinen who is so far down the right wing rabbit hole you'll sometimes hear fans refer to him as BlaQ. He's nowhere near the only hardcore conservative in the sport either. It's somehow only Bauer who constantly finds himself causing problems everywhere he goes.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BMcP said:

Ok - Bauer could be rostered in certain leagues - why don’t we move on rather than providing a case-by-case analysis.

But you don't want me to explain my 17 team, NL West dynasty league to you? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I don't think this quote says what you think it says. To my knowledge, Mookie is the only player to publicly say anything positive about Bauer. And if you read it, he's admitting his experience is completely different than "everyone else's". 

This reads more like a, "Yea, I know he's a prick, but he's always been nice to me" kind of thing people say. 

• Like 3