Bettor In Green Forums

Bettor In Green 2023 Outlook

Bettor In Green

• Administrators

Forums are now back up and running with the server upgrade being successful!

Sorry for the inconvenience everybody, i've been working hard to get them back up for you guys but please understand there wasn't much i could do on my end as the tech support team required me to meet a bunch of thresholds for the new server & i had to find out what the exact new limitations are upon upgrading & cross reference that with the traffic we were receiving prior to the downtime to see which one was the most suitable for our needs which was a bit of a hassle during thanksgiving when the family is all over.

I also purchased a CDN from the hosting provider to mitigate any sort of bot traffic that may have caused these spikes or DoS attacks.

Nonetheless, after bickering with support for all of this downtime we have finally come to a resolution & our sanctuary is back!

The forums went down on Nov 21st & came back online late Nov 24th. I understand it was a tough 3 days without it so i want to say thank you for those who stayed patient and trusted in me to get them back up as it was never my intention to close these forums down, especially in the same fashion as the previous one did with no heads up. On the flip side, there were multiple people who DM'd me on FB, Reddit & IG who were essentially threatening me & wishing bad things on my family, that i did not appreciate as much.. haha but regardless we are back live and i'm extremely happy about that!!

Since i upgraded the servers i have to pay almost double what i was paying out of pocket, the donations helped me in the beginning but they stalled off after a month in the total from donations were around $600 last i checked, i paid $140/month previously, now with the cloud hosting i'm paying $240/month with dedicated resources. i'll relay that anything helps to cover the cost & you can help out here: 

Recurring Support 👉 https://buy.stripe.com/9AQ2ah4sC34Wh2gfZ8 (Most Beneficial Long Term)

One Time Donation 👉 https://donate.stripe.com/5kAbKRf7ggVM5jy7sz 

Again nothing is required but anything helps! I'd appreciate it if you guys can spread the word wherever you can! 

Best Regards,
Your Admin
Bettor In Green 💚

• Like 17
  • Thanks 30
  • Sad 1

How much money do we need to donate in the future to keep the site up? Life is terrible without it. 

ok I see all the links for payment and it’s around 250 per month? I can certainly help with that and hope others will too!

in reference to the people threatening you on FB, please let us know who these people were so we can ban them or block them. We know you have done this on your own for all of us to enjoy and it is unacceptable to deal with reprehensible comments like that for something you didn’t have to do. Try to ignore them, there are lots of us that love and appreciate what you have done. 

was the traffic number high?

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 12

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

How much money do we need to donate in the future to keep the site up? Life is terrible without it. 

ok I see all the links for payment and it’s around 250 per month? I can certainly help with that and hope others will too!

in reference to the people threatening you on FB, please let us know who these people were so we can ban them or block them. We know you have done this on your own for all of us to enjoy and it is unacceptable to deal with reprehensible comments like that for something you didn’t have to do. Try to ignore them, there are lots of us that love and appreciate what you have done. 

was the traffic number high?

Appreciate you a ton, @DerrickHenrysCleats i had you on the back of my mind when trying to get the forums back up because i know how much you've done to help me on my personal endeavors & this community so that never goes unnoticed mate! 💚

The traffic number was around 270,000 at one point but i don't think that was the problem, the hosting provider actually said it was a mix of the traffic & the CPU executions which was pushing the limits of my current plan which made them restrict the whole website entirely & to unrestrict the entire website i had to delete the A name record (formus.bettoringreen.com) from the DNS editor to prevent requests from reaching the server temporarily. With this new plan though it's hosted on the cloud & the hosting provider said that there were no hourly limits for CPU executions. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that though regardless because i'd hate to go through that again, the support team was literally taking hours to respond after i'd reply in seconds but nonetheless, I'm just happy to get that out the way & rectify this! 

As for the people on FB i've already blocked them, not worth the time to even engage honestly & as long as they show no ill-mannered words on the forum i'll take it. I was mainly just worried about our community cause i know we've come a long way! 3 people have donated already which is awesome each donation goes straight back into the forums, server, & maintenance which will help out with the longevity

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Bettor In Green said:

Sorry for the inconvenience everybody, i've been working hard to get them back up for you guys but please understand there wasn't much i could do on my end as the tech support team required me to meet a bunch of thresholds for the new server & i had to find out what the exact new limitations are upon upgrading & cross reference that with the traffic we were receiving prior to the downtime to see which one was the most suitable for our needs which was a bit of a hassle during thanksgiving when the family is all over.

I also purchased a CDN from the hosting provider to mitigate any sort of bot traffic that may have caused these spikes or DoS attacks.

Nonetheless, after bickering with support for all of this downtime we have finally come to a resolution & our sanctuary is back!

The forums went down on Nov 21st & came back online late Nov 24th. I understand it was a tough 3 days without it so i want to say thank you for those who stayed patient and trusted in me to get them back up as it was never my intention to close these forums down, especially in the same fashion as the previous one did with no heads up. On the flip side, there were multiple people who DM'd me on FB, Reddit & IG who were essentially threatening me & wishing bad things on my family, that i did not appreciate as much.. haha but regardless we are back live and i'm extremely happy about that!!

Since i upgraded the servers i have to pay almost double what i was paying out of pocket, the donations helped me in the beginning but they stalled off after a month in the total from donations were around $600 last i checked, i paid $140/month previously, now with the cloud hosting i'm paying $240/month with dedicated resources. i'll relay that anything helps to cover the cost & you can help out here: 

Recurring Support 👉 https://buy.stripe.com/9AQ2ah4sC34Wh2gfZ8 (Most Beneficial Long Term)

Again nothing is required but anything helps! I'd appreciate it if you guys can spread the word wherever you can! 

Best Regards,
Your Admin
Bettor In Green 💚

Love this site and visit it a lot in one day. But sad to think people would resort to threats for it being down! Thanks for getting our sanctuary back up and running!👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bettor In Green said:

On the flip side, there were multiple people who DM'd me on FB, Reddit & IG who were essentially threatening me & wishing bad things on my family, that i did not appreciate as much..

..in a time where I absolutely know that nothing should shock me anymore, I was actually highly surprised at this. Apparently this is the state of society today. I know it happens all the time and it's safe to say this forum plays a substantial part in fantasy football bringing the amount of fun that it does, but for people to send out threats to the person that's making it all possible is disturbing to say the least. Then again, it must be the times we're living in.

Edited by YK35
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

First and foremost, thanks again for doing this as I know how of a headache it probably is. 

second: is it possible to send out an email blast for updates in events like this?  Or perhaps post an update on Twitter?

I still have PTSD from when Rotoworld went down.  

I second this. It would be ideal to designate an specific online destination where we can share info in case of another shutdown. This was so much like the RW episode I was having flashbacks. Info about status during an outage would go a long way to calming everyone down.

It is unfathomable to me someone would make threats(?!?!?!?) over something like this in any event - pretty fucked up and indicative of needing an intervention FFS.

My main concern is keeping the community thriving - that's the strength of this forum. We lost quite a few when RW pulled the plug. After a regroup this joint was hopping  shortly after BIG pulled it back together. But there are going to be fringe users that get turned off and leave for good if this keeps happening. A reliable place to go for a status check would go a long way imo.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I "continued without supporting" and damn proud of it.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Farm Boy said:

Thanks for getting things back up & running!

Is this your Twitter account?  If so, could you next time post updates there?  Mainly just to let users know this is an outage, not a shutdown.

https://twitter.com/BettorInGreen

Yes that is my twitter, i will definitely keep you guys updated there in case anything unexpected happens to the forums in the future! Glad we can come together and come up with a solution in case of this ever happening again! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bettor In Green said:

On the flip side, there were multiple people who DM'd me on FB, Reddit & IG who were essentially threatening me & wishing bad things on my family, that i did not appreciate as much..

maybe it’s for the better that pieces of shit like that showed their true colors and hopefully don’t find their way back here. the real ones appreciate what you do, and know you always had the best intentions! im just glad to be back, and ill throw a few bucks soon now that ik how important it is. it’s the least we could do to keep this community thriving. cheers fellas!

• Like 3

BiG--

There was speculation that this forum was created simply to generate traffic for other commercial endeavors, and that it was pulled once it had served that purpose.  

That never made a lick of sense to me; recreating the lost RW forums from whole cloth only days after they were casually deleted by some corporate bean-counter struck me as a passion project, especially with the amount of time required.

I was also mindful of the timing--Thanksgiving weekend, when many businesses are closed, may not be the ideal time to attempt a major website overhaul.  Not that you chose the timing.

I think people also need to realize, that while an update would have been nice, the situation was fluid enough that you probably did want to make any promises until you were certain that the issues with the server could be resolved favorably.

Again, thanks so much man.  I truly appreciate what you have done with this project.  I definitely missed the forums, badly, for those days it was down.

I have now donated and plan to do so regularly.  I hope many others do the same.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

BiG--

There was speculation that this forum was created simply to generate traffic for other commercial endeavors, and that it was pulled once it had served that purpose.  

That never made a lick of sense to me; recreating the lost RW forums from whole cloth only days after they were casually deleted by some corporate bean-counter struck me as a passion project, especially with the amount of time required.

I was also mindful of the timing--Thanksgiving weekend, when many businesses are closed, may not be the ideal time to attempt a major website overhaul.  Not that you chose the timing.

I think people also need to realize, that while an update would have been nice, the situation was fluid enough that you probably did want to make any promises until you were certain that the issues with the server could be resolved favorably.

Again, thanks so much man.  I truly appreciate what you have done with this project.  I definitely missed the forums, badly, for those days it was down.

I have now donated and plan to do so regularly.  I hope many others do the same.

I would have never thought that me sharing a link to these forums under a reddit post overnight would eventually blossom into this awesome community. Truly grateful & humbled by everybody who supports me and this project to keep it running!

I appreciate you seeing past the speculation & it was most definitely never my intention to leverage our forums in any conceivable way. My only intention was to restore the community as it had become apart of our daily routine & i didn't think it was fair at all to have it ripped from us like that when they can quite easily afford it!

I cant begin to explain how fast i rushed back home to contact support when i saw the forums were down. I didn't even think to push an update at the time because i just had 1 sole focus of getting the forums back up & my anxiety just wasn't letting me stop working until it was up. I definitely got to get better at that, for future references now i'll definitely push updates via twitter if anything occurs! You're definitely right on the server situation though, i was just there in purgatory for a while and every tech support rep was telling me different things which led me to investigate the situation myself by diving into all of the logs, etc. All in all im just really glad that we are back & i as well missed the forums for what felt like 3 eternal days!

Thank you to everybody who took the time to read, reply, share & donate you guys are the best and i'm only looking to do right by you, that being said let's continue our regularly scheduled programming! 💚

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Bettor In Green said:

for future references now i'll definitely push updates via twitter if anything occurs!

It's a lesson I had to learn the hard way as a PM. 

Customers are usually happier having to wait a week but with regular (daily) updates than 4 days without. Same for our life partners, now that I think of it.

And I'm the same as a PM with my teams. As long as they tell me where we are and keep the line open, I can also trust we're going to solve it.

But believe you me, I know exactly how hard it is to give those updates when you're working around the clock. It's all a learning process and we thank you for the work you do man.

• Like 5

On 11/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, Bettor In Green said:

Best Regards,
Your Admin
Bettor In Green 💚

Dropped a 25 Piece this weekend and will help out as often as I can

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• BaoBou locked this topic