Tyler Soderstrom 2024 Outlook

I wouldn't say blocked. He's on the worst team in baseball. If he starts to break out, guys like Noda and Langeliers aren't going to stand in his way.

That said I agree he probably won't be relevant in 2024. His debut was pretty bad and he'll be hitting in a lousy lineup in an empty pitcher's park. In 2-catcher leagues he's worth keeping an eye on but otherwise probably safe to ignore in redraft.

The long-term outlook is brighter. Vegas is at high elevation and will be a great place to hit, and the A's can only get better. I think if you've got him in dynasty you stay patient and just hope he shows some progress this year and starts to lock down a full-time job. Also hope the A's pick a lane as asking a guy to alternate between C and 1B is setting him up to fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

I wouldn't say blocked. He's on the worst team in baseball. If he starts to break out, guys like Noda and Langeliers aren't going to stand in his way.

That said I agree he probably won't be relevant in 2024. His debut was pretty bad and he'll be hitting in a lousy lineup in an empty pitcher's park. In 2-catcher leagues he's worth keeping an eye on but otherwise probably safe to ignore in redraft.

The long-term outlook is brighter. Vegas is at high elevation and will be a great place to hit, and the A's can only get better. I think if you've got him in dynasty you stay patient and just hope he shows some progress this year and starts to lock down a full-time job. Also hope the A's pick a lane as asking a guy to alternate between C and 1B is setting him up to fail.

Assuming anyone that plays for the A’s today will still be on the team in 4 years is questionable.  

Also assuming John Fisher will actually secure the $1.1B he needs to build a modern stadium on a 9-acre plot in the Vegas strip is also coming into question.  

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Back up yesterday.  Will be playing 1B and have C eligibility.

HR 1st game back.  

Underrated prospect. After Mayo probably will be the best hitter called up this season.

I know he was awful last season but he is worth a look.

Edited by JWBlue

14 minutes ago, JWBlue said:

Back up yesterday.  Will be playing 1B and have C eligibility.

HR 1st game back.  

Underrated prospect. After Mayo probably will be the best hitter called up this season.

I know he was awful last season but he is worth a look.

Happy he's is back up; hope he sticks.

USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, duckthefodgers said:

While it’s nice that he had C eligibility in some leagues, does it even matter if he essentially NEVER faces lefties?

No it doesn't matter.  Same with O'Hearn.  A lot of us use platoon players.  Just check out the opposing pitcher on any given day and no problem at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big Bat Theory said:

No it doesn't matter.  Same with O'Hearn.  A lot of us use platoon players.  Just check out the opposing pitcher on any given day and no problem at all.

Yes of course. But, point being, the whole reason for pursuing a C eligible player who doesn’t really play catcher is to have an everyday player in the C slot. If a guy is platooned against a certain handedness it negates that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duckthefodgers said:

Yes of course. But, point being, the whole reason for pursuing a C eligible player who doesn’t really play catcher is to have an everyday player in the C slot. If a guy is platooned against a certain handedness it negates that. 

Yeah, he does lose the cheat code aspect of it by platooning, true.

1 minute ago, duckthefodgers said:

What SpartyOn4 said about knowing in advance when a catcher may be out of the line-up.  Plus I try never to have one of my teams have less than 2 catchers.

Sure. All fair. Some of us don’t have roster slots and/or sufficient moves to operate a catcher platoon. 

So there’s always the search for the cheat code like he stated above. Like a Melendez who doesn’t suck. Tyler S is a nice player with solid upside but he’s in a strict platoon so we can’t cheat haha. 

I have watched a lot of his ABs this year.  He just seems to guess every pitch.  No ability to foul pitches off when he guesses wrong.   If he guesses right he does damage.   Probably a .200 hitter with 20 HR 100 R/RBI.  Not horrible for a catcher.

56 minutes ago, JWBlue said:

I have watched a lot of his ABs this year.  He just seems to guess every pitch.  No ability to foul pitches off when he guesses wrong.   If he guesses right he does damage.   Probably a .200 hitter with 20 HR 100 R/RBI.  Not horrible for a catcher.

Great for a catcher.  And he is a human and not a past stat sheet either.  Players learn, grow and change too.  He is young and is going to change and hopefully for even a more positive stat line.

On 6/12/2024 at 1:44 PM, Big Bat Theory said:

It's a different story for those who have him in weekly leagues. It could matter in those because you can't replace him when he's not playing. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 2:57 PM, Big Bat Theory said:

Plus I try never to have one of my teams have less than 2 catchers.

Gotta believe

Not many people own two catchers on 12 team redraft leagues 

Edited by shakestreet

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Gotta believe

Not many people own two catchers on 12 team redraft leagues

Well he has become the A's everyday 1B already it seems so he can play both.  And he is basically playing every day which most straight up catchers don't.

And back when I started out in those 12 team re-drafts I always had two catchers.  It was a nice way to steal better stats each week keeping that slot filled.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Big Bat Theory