Miscellaneous Fantasy Baseball Tidbits & Such

Stat that popped out to me today. Jarren Duran has 8 triples already this year --on pace for 26. That would be the most in a season since Kiki Cuyler in 1925.

[Don't know what was going on in 2007, but seems crazy in retrospect that Curtis Granderson had 23 triples and Jimmy Rollins had 20.]

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 12:38 PM, shakestreet said:

Had no idea where to put this but

Check this out… 

Wow. That dude needs a heavy reprimand, suspension without pay, demotion, whatever. That was one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen from an umpire on any level. 

Edited by Flyman
  • Like 1

MLB taking such a hard stance against gambling (cc: Ohtani).

Tucupita Marcano could receive a lifetime ban from MLB for betting on baseball, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports.
That’d be awfully unfortunate for Marcano, a 24-year-old who has been out since last August due to a torn ACL and was slated to resume playing in minor league games sometime soon. Marcano hit .217/.269/.320 in 447 at-bats for the Padres and Pirates from 2021-23.

6 minutes ago, herschel said:

MLB taking such a hard stance against gambling (cc: Ohtani).

Tucupita Marcano could receive a lifetime ban from MLB for betting on baseball, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports.
That’d be awfully unfortunate for Marcano, a 24-year-old who has been out since last August due to a torn ACL and was slated to resume playing in minor league games sometime soon. Marcano hit .217/.269/.320 in 447 at-bats for the Padres and Pirates from 2021-23.

Hmmm - hopefully very large bets and he won and won't be needing his MLB salary.

Lineup alert info:

I am still partial to Underdog (yes, they are real/legit), but Moonshots is new and shows the opposing pitcher and whether he is LH or RH - cool new resource!

They are on Twitter/X @MoonshotsAlerts for lineups, etc.

They also have a more news-based account @MoonshotsMLB 

• Like 1

Something interesting 

NEW TECH: MLB HITTERS FIGHT BACK

giphy.gif

A hitter takes batting practice against a hologram of Gerrit Cole. (ESPN)

MLB's data-fueled pitching revolution has left hitters struggling to keep up, but new technology is helping them fight back and even the playing field, Jeff writes.

High-tech batting practice: A new machine called Trajekt Arc can replicate the experience of facing any pitcher, allowing hitters to practice against every pitch. The product was first launched three years ago and 19 of 30 MLB teams are now using it.

• Trajekt features a video screen that projects a full-size hologram of any pitcher, imitating their exact windup, arm angle and pitch mix, per ESPN.
  • This season, MLB decided to allow teams to use it during games, meaning hitters can head down to the cages and take swings against the exact pitches they're about to see.

What they're saying: "This is the first piece of technology we've had that truly benefits us," one position player told ESPN. Pitchers aren't so thrilled: "It's impossible for a pitcher to mimic the at-bat … but they could be hitting my fastball for the next three hours? That's not fair," said Yankees reliever Caleb Ferguson.

Is it working? The jury's still out. While some believe in-game use of Trajekt is contributing to the lower strikeout rate against relievers this season, 2024 offenses are still producing some of the worst offensive numbers in MLB history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

^  Interesting about Trajekt Arc.

Triston Casas was talking about this during an interview saying he was starting to get into it and really liking it.  I didn't really know what he was talking about but now I do.

He also mentioned that this year the Red Sox also got one of these machines for their AAA club as well so it looks like it has made it's way into the high minors too.  Well probably not with the 11 clubs that still don't have it for their major league club.  (I wonder who they are).

• Like 2