June 2024 Closer Thread

I was just looking for the June closer thread to ask when the ChiSox are going to try someone besides Kopech as a closer. And the thread apparently has been deleted. I searched for it, and it’s not even there. 

Edited by FFCollusion
  • Like 1

Just now, Flyman said:

I was just looking for the June closer thread to ask when the ChiSox are going to try someone besides Kopech as a closer. And the thread apparently has been deleted. I searched for it, and it’s not even there. 

Wow.....

USA

• FFCollusion changed the title to June 2024 Closer Thread

I was looking for it as well. Wonder if it was accidentally nuked. Regardless, Kopech is a flaming pile of a reliever, pitching for a flaming pile of a team. Not worth the ratio hit even in blood for save situations.

17 minutes ago, Random said:

McArthur has an ERA over 5... does he really have the KC job locked down?

No. I expect they'll trade for a closer, be it Tanner Scott or someone else. But I'd keep riding him until that time comes, ugly stats and all. 

Mets said Edwin would immediately resume closing duties and he picked up the win tonight, pitching a clean ninth inning with 1k. 11/15 pitches for strikes. He hit just under 100 mph a few times tonight, which is about 2 mph faster than any pitch he's thrown this year. 

• Like 1

Man I am such a Kopech hater. I wish White Sox would demote him from the CL gig so I can just punt. 
No saves since May 15! 

Serves up taters every other outing. SEVEN homers allowed in under 30 innings!

Mofo is not a MLB pitcher. 

Yet I play in a 16 team lg and I need svs. And his SP eligibility is a significant edge in due to my lg settings. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Calman said:

Does anyone think Faucher has a chance to close in Miami if Scott is traded?

Maybe a chance, but I wouldn't bet on it. He walks too many and strikes out too few. If you're going to walk four batters every nine innings as a closer, then you need more than 25 Ks in 24 IP...imho. 

Just now, papasmurf said:

Man I am such a Kopech hater. I wish White Sox would demote him from the CL gig so I can just punt. 
No saves since May 15! 

Serves up taters every other outing. SEVEN homers allowed in under 30 innings!

Mofo is not a MLB pitcher. 

Yet I play in a 16 team lg and I need svs. And his SP eligibility is a significant edge in due to my lg settings. 

I had him in a 15-teamer and a 14-teamer, and cut I him loose 2/3 weeks ago in both leagues. Nobody has picked him up in either. I need saves, too, but I need my ratios, as well. If I were you, I'd just drop him.

Hey, aren't you one of the bad luck guys? Try dropping him and see if he turns it around 😂. Maybe he'll reel off six saves in two weeks with no runs and only three baserunners allowed in six innings...with like 12 Ks. 😁

No, I was watching the game live and the first bunch of pitches Yates threw were VERY wild, and he kept looking at his hand. He seemed to figure out whatever was bothering him and ended up getting out of the jam nicely. My apologies for not coming back to clarify.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flyman said:

I had him in a 15-teamer and a 14-teamer, and cut I him loose 2/3 weeks ago in both leagues. Nobody has picked him up in either. I need saves, too, but I need my ratios, as well. If I were you, I'd just drop him.

Hey, aren't you one of the bad luck guys? Try dropping him and see if he turns it around 😂. Maybe he'll reel off six saves in two weeks with no runs and only three baserunners allowed in six innings...with like 12 Ks. 😁

I just dropped in 2 leagues as well.  I don't think his 5 saves on the year is going to make or break me.  When ERA and WHIP are tight in roto, even a small number of IPS with bad ratios will kill you.

• Like 1

Have had Leasure stashed for spec saves with Kopech struggling and all the talk of him being healthy by the deadline, now Leasure send down to the minors

13 team standard 5x5 roto redraft (saves only) - 5 outfielder league (1400 max innings pitched)

C =    adley rutschman 

1B =   vinny pasquantino

2B =   bryson stott

SS =   ezequiel tovar

3B =   austin riley

MI =   brice turang

CI =   alec burleson 

DH =  sam frelick 

OF=    juan soto,  randy arozarena,  bryan reynolds,  nick castellanos,  josh lowe 

BN =  noelvi marte,  xander bogaerts

IL  =   jose miranda ,  esteury Ruiz  

SP =   logan webb,  freddy peralta,  joe ryan,  sonny gray,  seth lugo,  jake irvin

BULLPEN =  ryan helsley,  camilo doval,  james mcarthur,  david robertson,  chad green,  john brebbia 

6 hours ago, Flyman said:

Yeah at this point with my team middle of the pack and having no realistic chance of winning this year, I might as well hold him out of spite. If this means he's out of baseball after this year, so be it. He is not a ML pitcher right now anyway. 

That said, I had a chance to see the JROD homer off him. Unlike the usual 0-2 FBs down the pipe he throws, this one was actually a good pitch. 99 mph FB right at or just outside of the upper outside corner of the zone. Credit to the hitter on that one. 

Speculative add, Tanner Banks RP • CHW, had a Save and a hold this week, but also had 2 blown saves in the last 2 weeks, I see him

as a 4th or 5th save options on my team, any risk-takers out there?

Edited by Old School

USA

8 minutes ago, Old School said:

Speculative add, Tanner Banks RP • CHW, had a Save and a hold this week, but also had 2 blown saves in the last 2 weeks, I see him

as a 4th or 5th save options on my team, any risk-takers out there?

With Leasure sent to the minors today, most sites show Brebbia next in line for saves.  He has struggled for a chunk of the season, but has been great over the last 15 days

13 team standard 5x5 roto redraft (saves only) - 5 outfielder league (1400 max innings pitched)

C =    adley rutschman 

1B =   vinny pasquantino

2B =   bryson stott

SS =   ezequiel tovar

3B =   austin riley

MI =   brice turang

CI =   alec burleson 

DH =  sam frelick 

OF=    juan soto,  randy arozarena,  bryan reynolds,  nick castellanos,  josh lowe 

SP =   logan webb,  freddy peralta,  joe ryan,  sonny gray,  seth lugo,  jake irvin

BULLPEN =  ryan helsley,  camilo doval,  james mcarthur,  david robertson,  chad green,  john brebbia 

Best start thinking of next up in Miami sooner than later.  Though for us in SVH leagues I can't wait until he gets traded to a better team where he could score more Holds than he ever could get Saves back in Miami this year:

Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, Orioles Among Teams Interested In Tanner Scott

By Steve Adams | June 14, 2024 at 4:15pm CDT

Marlins closer Tanner Scott has already been drawing trade interest for several weeks, and Jon Heyman of the New York Post lists the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies and Orioles as just some of the many teams showing interest in the hard-throwing lefty. Will Sammon and Katie Woo of The Athletic suggested this morning that Scott could be the next notable name to be moved — although that doesn’t necessarily indicate a trade of Scott is nearing the finish line. But the Marlins already showed their willingness to act early on the trade market when they moved Luis Arraez just five weeks into the season, and power bullpen arms are among the most sought-after commodities on the trade market every year.

Edited by Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really want to get the Marlins next closer right since Scott is out the door any day now, but I have no gut feeling as to what direction they’d go. Nardi, Puk, Bender, and Faucher are my 4 likely candidates. Last night, Bender got the 7th, struggled, and was followed by Faucher who got the final out that inning and pitched the 8th. The previous save situation had Bender getting 2 outs in 6/7 and Nardi getting the last 2 in the 7th. Prior to that, there were a few occasions where Nardi would enter in the 6th, Puk in the 7th, and Faucher in the 8th. 

My summary: Nardi has righted the ship and is pitching really well of late, but has significant splits and is probably most valuable getting lefties out. Puk hasn’t been good since transitioning to the bullpen. Bender’s velocity is still down and hasn’t been missing many bats. Faucher seems like a legitimate option, but not really sure where this goes.

• Like 2

^^^     WTF is this BULLS*IT   ^^^

🤣🤣

C =    adley rutschman 

1B =   vinny pasquantino

2B =   bryson stott

SS =   ezequiel tovar

3B =   austin riley

MI =   brice turang

CI =   alec burleson 

DH =  sam frelick 

2 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

^^^     WTF is this BULLS*IT   ^^^

🤣🤣

I reported that post, she came on here just for that, her first post, and hopefully her last.

Edited by Old School

USA